I read Ling Ma’s Severance back in March and keep forgetting to give it a glowing recommendation, especially for those of you who are still in lockdown.
A few of the elements that really worked for me:
- A fascinating perspective on the benefits (!) of boring office jobs;
- A mysterious flu with origins in China;
- Post-pandemic dystopia;
- Cult dynamics;
- A solid critique of the internet and how we use it;
- Philosophical differences revealed through a romantic relationship;
- A Chinese-American immigration story;
- The choice between going with the flow vs joining the revolution vs saving yourself; and
- Geekery related to specifics of publishing books (think: paper weight, binding, and cover materials) to remind me of my former life as a publisher.
Check it out. 4 out of 5 stars!